February 27, 2012

Ugliest. Cake. Ever.


To celebrate Charlotte's first birthday I wanted to make a cake and try using cake decorating supplies for the first time.  I wanted to make a chocolate stout cake with a raspberry frosting using fresh raspberries. My idea was to make a two tiered cake with frosting rosettes around the whole cake. In my mind this was going to be beautiful and girlish.  I  was off to a good start with the cake portion of this project. The chocolate stout batter was delicious.  And then I hit the frosting.  What a nightmare.  I could not figure out how to get the filling and frosting thick enough to keep it from running off the cake.  I made several attempts to thicken the frosting but failed miserably.  This has to be the worst looking cake I've ever made.  

This beautiful cake is from i-heart-baking.blogspot.com.  This is what I wished my cake looked like.  Instead it looked like this:

 At this point in putting the cake together I should have realized it would have been better to walk away. Instead I persisted and ended up with a cake like this:

Hurray!  Hahaha, I have to laugh at myself for this.  After all the effort and thought I put into this cake it looked awful.  Also, if it looks like I threw handfuls of sprinkles at the cake, its because I did! I don't think I will have a career in cake decorating. At least it tasted pretty good.  But the battle between me and the frosting isn't over yet.  I still have a birthday and St. Patty's day next month to test out my skills.  I know I can get it to work.  Round Two between me and frosting is just around the corner!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...